Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Silence

Following a spontaneous breaking the rules, whereby on Sunday night we went out (of the ashram) with Noa, bought a pack of cigarettes and 2 pieces of chocolate each, sat down opposite the ashram entrance and talked about love and the big questions of life in general for hours, she had a great idea: why don't we do the 3 day silence, before I leave at the end of the week?

As the silent Thursdays never ended up being silent (at all), this seemed to be just the perfect idea to finish my stay with.. We also agreed before shutting the mouth that we'd go 'downtown' on Friday in the morning to do my gift-shopping and hunt down some proper food too – Noa still has 3 weeks to go so, hopefully it will help her cravings for a while longer.

 

After the first half a day – which was not difficult at all, apart from dealing with some of the people not understanding why is the never quiet Hungarian just shaking her head or nodding – there is one thing I am absolutely certain of already: it saves so much energy not to talk, it is fascinating. It was kind of a relief today not having had to explain anything, answer any questions, have the weather talk etc… and while I thought it would make me go nuts having to deal with my thoughts only, the mind is a lot quieter than I ever managed to quiet it down to with any sort of relaxation so far. Lets see how the next two days go.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this idea. I may try it at some point. Do you think it will be as readily accepted outside an ashram?