Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Silence vol.2

The mornings, right after breakfast became the most precious part of the days for me.

By 9am I am done with the first hatha class, meditation, shower and food, the body is awake and well-fed, the mind is calm and well-rested, and until about 10am when the first lecture starts, I have a patch of sunshine in front of my cottage where, like old people do back at home in the villages, I just sit and enjoy - as hilarious as it may sound for some –, the sound of the river, the dozens of different kind of birds going mental and the conversations of the favorite pets.. It is really special.

And, today started with a particularly sweet little surprise and a bigger than usual smile... J

 

This is the 3rd day of silence, and I came to realize so many more details and patterns all around… nothing superficial just things one wouldn't usually pay attention to.

I also forgot the silence mode once which was kinda funny, I just asked a question in the morning and after I got the answer only realized that I was not supposed to talk. J oh well, all those nice habits we have.

The other thing is, that since I had to finalize my plans in Delhi for the weekend, I couldn't avoid going online to check mails, and of course I got carried away reading all that came in during the last week… which kinda answers D's question – in case D is D as in Miss Comms Director…. - with your job, I am having some challenges imagining any silent days for you…. On a serious note though, what they teach here, is that no matter how long for, it may be an hour at home every now and then, but closing all communication channels and doing cleaning for instance or cooking or meditation, or walking in silence does wonders for everyone. I can only second that from the past month's experiences. Its really nothing much else one can do here but quiet the mind as much as possible and deal with it!

 

Silence – as it is said – is one of the 5 practices everyone should follow to a certain extent… it just seems to me that, not only for these practices but for all the goals this tradition sets for its followers, one has to be a millionaire and have a full-on life-factory around, that supports all the needs of the individual. I mean, meditation is indeed beneficial and an amazing thing if you can do it, but – in my own personal experience – all together it takes about half a year of hard enough work with oneself, 4-5 hours a day at least, to be able to finally sit in meditation and enjoy it for over an hour. Try to find 4-5 hours every day in your life for half a year, without completely changing your current lifestyle.. I just don't think this is the only way for most of us.

 

As close as I get to the end of the week I realize how much I love this place and the people. Even in silence, the smiles worth more than any words, the good vibes do get to you no matter how much you are trying to close yourself in. It is indeed a patch of heaven in the crazy chaos around. I am glad to know how to spend "quality time" alone without books or even music; realized that my hips will never be painfree again unless I do exercise every day, I have to admit that I came to feel a special admiration for my washingmachine at home and also, deliberately avoided dishwashing during the past month, and that even though I tried.. - I never ever want to see my legs unshaved again. J

 

Today, is the last washing day, tomorrow is packing day, Friday is shopping day, Saturday driving day, and Sunday is TajMahal, then the flight back to freezingcold Hungary - -2 this morning??? WHAT?! - for a few days at least. J I am looking forward to see you friends!

No comments: