Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sunday in Hong Kong was half a day for me: due to the fact that I only went to sleep at 3am - which hasn’t happened in a LONG time - I only got out of bed around noon. By the time I was done with breakfast and emails and Starbucks, it was already 2.30 in the afternoon – I decided to go back to some of the areas Pad took me and, try not to spend all my money I had but do the shopping I wanted to. I finally got the sleeping sack I wanted to buy back in October, wondered into Nine West and couldn’t resist some heels, had an Italian meal at a restaurant I saw the previous day (for 25 EUR, that kinda hurt), an the day flew away in a blink of the eye.

After all the rain and clouds and 15C it was sunny and just beautiful spring weather when I woke up on Monday, 25C, not a single cloud on the sky, so I took my backpack, the sunglasses and headed towards Hong Kong Island. Took me 3 days to get there, but hey. Star Ferry ride there – great views – but what blew my mind away was the seats: you can flip the backrest over and so, decide which way you want to face on the boat. WOW!
Then came the most scenic local bus ride I have ever had: for 2 HKD which is about 18 centEUR, an hour-long ride on the top of a double-decker, through the green hills of the island, overlooking beautiful bays with yachts and mansions and swimming pools and beaches and crazy number of Ferraris and Jags, and overall richland. Add to this Puccini on the iPod and trees in blossoms – and you get it why I was smiling like a lunatic all the way. I bused all the way to Stanley and instead of getting off at the market, decided to stay on for an extra (and final) stop and walk back…. I didn’t….. the busdriver stopped the double-decker on his way back, right next to me, explained that its nothing exciting walking the way I headed, and told me to get back on, he would show me which way to go. Can you believe that? I had a whole double-decker for myself!! :D
The pictures show how amazing this place was - in case you haven’t had the chance to visit this place, yet.



I had lunch at a vegetarian place which Jonathan recommended, for a lot more sensible 7 EUR total, and for dinner, I got an invitation from Norman – Dustin’s friend who owns the apartment I was staying at - to join him and his clients for a steak in the eve. Rock on, crashing someone else’s business dinner, in jeans, flipflops and a t-shirt… that’s how I roll these days…

On my last day the clouds and winter came back – just to piss me off I guess – it was gloomy and cold, just like my mood. Walking up and down, I made friends with Alice and her 3 lil friends, a group of lovely 12-year-olds, doing their homework; filling out a questionnaire and having a photo taken with any willing foreigner they come across. We had a nice chat, exchanged email addresses, took some pics, laughed and all of us went on our own way – I just found it very cute that as shy as these girls are, with their improving English, they do come up to you, smile and make the effort to do a conversation, truly interested in whatever you have to say.
The day’s destination was the Peak on Hong Kong Island, it was just so cold and windy I couldn’t quite enjoy it. On my way back home some magic happened and the weather cleared up, and, at 8pm I finally managed to watch the Light Orchestra – a laser-lightshow with music over the night HKG skyline.

No comments: