Monday, February 28, 2011

Luang Prabang, Laos

I found my new favorite place - definitely the one in SE Asia: Luang Prabang. We flew here from Pakse, trying to shorten the travel time from the south of Laos as much as posssible before my Sunday departure for Chiang Mai.

The place we booked for 30 USD per night, Merry Guesthouse 2 was beautiful, really well kept and family-run, a great spot to spend a few days at. Our first meal, the mega-size salads at Lao Lao Garden and the walk through our side of Phu Si (not joking with the name) made me instantly fall in love with the city; it is charming, quiet, beautiful, clean, people are kind and noone wants to rape you for half a dollar - very relaxing! The Friday morning we got our Vietnam visas sorted first, for 510000 kip - those numbers really mess with your conscious for a while. In the afternoon I went for a walk around the city and along the Mekong and met 2 Hungarian guys at one of the temples, had a coffee with them and talked about their adventures in Laos - I was SO happy to speak some Hungarian after such a long time... In the eve we went to see the sunset on Phu Si with Dave and laughed our asses off about the name and, the one Buddha for every day of the week collection halfway up the hill - there was even a little song born out of our madness there.. ;) Then walking along the city we found something else Hungarian: Liza's Icon Bar, with a book on Pecs on the shelf and a bottle of Unicum in the fridge - it was interesting to see part of me right on the other side of the world, in such an interesting setup.

Saturday morning Dave was feeling a little rough so I took some water and my camera and headed for the countryside to leave him rest in peace for a few hours. Walking through tiny little villages the first thing I saw was a roosterfight, then jungle and pure magic all the way, talked to some friendly locals, saw women making silk textiles, paper, do their usual Saturday morning chores - and took a gazillion pictures:



I had such a great time walking around I could not believe it. You know, when you are just so content that you smile constantly, dont need anything at all, no food or drinks or music or conversations or any stimulation - when you are just there, loving every minute for the sake of being there..... it was that feeling..
And then Sunday morning I left for Chiang Mai, not sure what to expect but ready to go back to school, learn massage and meet new faces; and at the same time already looking forward to be back on Phuket with Dave at Mama's at the end of the month.

No comments: